The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted businesses worldwide, leading to a significant number of layoffs.
The entry-level job market has been especially impacted, leaving recent graduates in a precarious position. The World Bank even goes so far as to suggest that young people today are at risk of becoming part of a Lost Generation, with youths potentially losing 10% of future earnings due to lapses in their education and a 25% future decline for toddlers.
In this article, we’ll explore the current state of the job market for entry-level positions and how recent graduates can navigate the current landscape.
The Current Job Market for Entry-Level Positions
As of 2023, the job market for entry-level positions is highly competitive. There are more job seekers than there are available positions, making it challenging for recent graduates to find work. Companies that were hit hard by the pandemic are still struggling to recover, and many have implemented hiring freezes or reduced their workforce.
Furthermore, those who are lucky enough to find an entry-level position are often competing against applicants who have more experience. This can make it difficult for recent graduates to stand out, as employers are more likely to choose candidates with a proven track record.
Navigating the Current Job Market
While the current job market may seem bleak for recent graduates, there are still steps they can take to increase their chances of landing a job. Here are some tips:
- Network: One of the most effective ways to find a job is through networking. Reach out to alumni from your college, attend career fairs and virtual events, and connect with professionals in your desired field on LinkedIn. Building relationships with people in your industry can increase your chances of getting a job referral and possibly even hearing about job openings before they’re posted.
- Consider Internships: Even if you’ve already graduated, internships can be a great way to gain experience and make connections in your chosen field. Some companies may be more willing to hire interns than full-time employees, so don’t overlook this option.
- Be Flexible: While it’s important to have specific career goals, being flexible in your job search can increase your chances of finding employment. Consider applying for jobs that may not be your dream job but will provide help pay the bills while you continue to build connections and experience that will lead you up to something even better.
- Build Your Skills: Use this time to improve your skills and increase your value to potential employers. Take online courses or certifications that will make you more marketable. While you’re searching, volunteering and interning can also help you gain experience and develop new skills.
- Use Job Matching Resources: There are many agencies out there looking to match job seekers with their dream jobs. You might also consider job search engines, career services at your alma mater, and online job boards. Take advantage of these resources to find job openings and receive career advice.
The Impact of Layoffs on Recent Graduates
Layoffs have had a significant impact on recent graduates. In addition to the challenges of finding work in a competitive job market, many recent graduates are also dealing with the emotional toll of being laid off from their first job. Losing a job can be a blow to one’s confidence and self-esteem, and it can be challenging to bounce back.
A culture of layoffs results in fewer opportunities for recent graduates to gain work experience. Many companies are now looking for experienced candidates rather than entry-level employees to trim the budget. This only makes it more challenging for recent graduates to gain the experience they need to move up in their careers.
The Future of the Job Market
While the current job market may be challenging for recent graduates, there is always hope for the future, and it helps to remember that the job market has downturns but also upturns. As the economy continues to recover, companies will begin to hire again, and the job market will improve.
If you have been affected by layoffs or if you are searching for an entry-level position, consider joining the KangarooStar community to get support from experienced, professional job matchers.